Friday, March 20, 2009

First day of spring

For dinner on this first night of spring, I decided to make something simple, using things I had on hand. I mainly needed to figure out how to use the beautiful baguette I received on Wed.

spring peas photo by Kristin

I also had some thawed chicken and crunchy fresh veggies in the fridge.

spring chicken salad sammie photo by Kristin
These became the ingredients for an easy chicken salad sandwich. I poached the chicken with lemon and thyme, shred it, and mixed it with radish, raw spring peas and a little mayo.
The baguette was crusty and chewy and the peas popped in your mouth with the freshest burst of flavor. Poaching the chicken kept it nice and moist and the radish provided a little zing.
Very simple and satisfying.
Since the weather was very un-spring like, I whipped up two individual sized pear crisps and topped them with vanilla ice cream. Comfort food for the cold rain...


pear crisp a la mode photo by Kristin

And J, to answer your comment from the previous post:
Farro is a grain that closely resembles barley in flavor and texture. I think it's the oldest known grain, but now is used more in Italy and Asia. It's chewy and nutty and delicious! Maybe they have it at the Kiva?

1 comment:

Janice La Verne said...

yummm,

I'm laughing at the "whip up" the pear crisp... I have never "whipped up" anything!

I will look for the farrow.

Tomorrow G and I are making Tortilla Soup for Aggie and Toby for lunch.

Remember my cous cous request, I have a whole box of the stuff. I was hoping for some really yummy salad we could take to work?

i want to devour this entire post. NOW!!!