Thursday, May 14, 2009

Two for one

What's this? Two posts in one day? I thought I'd try and squeeze another one in, especially since I did end up making dinner tonight.

I came up with another rice cooker all-in-one. Well, this is almost an all-in-one. I used it to pair up with some shrimp(cooked separately) for a really quick, no fuss meal.

Playing restaurant with the presentation! Spicy rice and shrimp...photo by Kristin
I wanted to add things to the rice that would make it a little more than just seasoned. A can of fire roasted tomatoes and green chilies, onion, garlic and oregano made it just that. Tonight I used white rice instead of brown, but I think you could use either, adjusting the time, of course, for the brown rice. I found that I had to cook everything a little longer, which, in the case of my rice cooker, means I didn't add enough water. Also, the tomatoes/chilies I used were a brand I hadn't used before and were much spicier than I expected. I think it turned out to be a good side dish that could have many variations. First, you could switch up the protein (chicken, pork, fish, beans), go Spanish by using tomatoes without chilies and adding saffron, go, Italian by using tomatoes with basil or even leftover pasta sauce. This would also work on the stove top if you don't have a rice cooker.

1 comment:

Janice La Verne said...

hi birthday girl!

hope you had some of this sunny weather that we are having here.

both these dishes look so good to me, especially the salad. yum.

you should get an award from me for helping me at least think about eating more healthily (is that a word?)

love, j