Sunday, June 21, 2009

Follow up

A quick response to some of the ?'s from the "grains" pantry post:

I haven't ever used millet. My limited experience with it cooked by others was not good. I hesitate to say that they were vegan dishes while I lived in Eugene. I don't want to contribute to an already rampant stereotype. So, J, do you have any saving suggestions?
As for quinoa, ha-ha! spell check says it's spelled wrong. Even though it's the grain with the highest protein, I don't care much for it's taste. I find it to have a bitter aftertaste. Sorry! But, you could use it in place of couscous for most recipes, just check the cooking time.
And, farro is kinda like Italian barley and in my opinion, better. Read here about farro and spelt, sometimes considered one and the same. For J, try maybe the Kiva? Or is there still that place on Willamette that's a health food-ish place? If not, try online, or I can get some for you. Or, for my parents (and hopefully other readers), Whole Foods for sure. Carmine's maybe, but it will probably cost more. Oh, and it's actually a little expensive for a grain. Don't be surprised to pay more than $5 bucks for a package. It's very hearty so I usually think of it as more of a fall-time thing. But it does pair well with seafood as an almost risotto like dish. There are many camps of soaking vs. not soaking. Soaking overnight like beans. I've found it to be yummy to cook it with the mindset of brown rice--so not soaking. It's not instant, but if you start it first and prep everything else, it doesn't seem to take as long. I also put this in my rice cooker. (The best $8 bucks I spent at Walgreens ever. Rice cookers don't hafta be uber -fancy-talk-to-you-while-managing-your-life. I have seen such at the local Asian market for hundreds of dollars.) Or, pretend you are in Italy and cook it on the stove. (Lidia would. I think me and G. need a shrine to her:) Sorry for the "inside", not joke, but commentary.)
Ok, if the weather co-operates(ie photo ops) I will try to get another pantry post out before I go out of town this week...
And, I hope I've answered your questions.

1 comment:

Janice La Verne said...

What I know about millet I learned from living in So. Oregon. Millet tends to get mushy when cooked... but, we used to put millet in the bread we made (uncooked) and it was delish, very nutty and crunchy. i love millet in bread.

the quinoa from trader joes isn't bitter! i used to not like it and now i do...

that's all i know. thanks for the good info and post.

can we have choc chip cookies now?